Select a Country Below to check whether or not a VISA in Needed:
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Relations does not issue Passports either in Lesotho or abroad, but since they are used as evidence of identity and citizenship by Basotho who are travelling internationally they form the basis for Consular access and protection by Diplomatic Missions and Consular Posts in accordance with the Vienna Conventions on Diplomatic Relations 1961 and Vienna Convention Consular Relations 1963.
If you are a Lesotho citizen who is applying for a New Lesotho
Passport outside Lesotho, you should complete an application for the
- Obtain an application form from any Lesotho Diplomatic or Consular Mission.
- Complete the Passport application form for final application form filled by a Consular Officer;
- Proof of Lesotho citizenship (old Passport)
- Sign the form
Child Passport application should be lodged by a parent/person with parental responsibility over the child.
A visa is a form of permission for a non-citizen to enter, transit or remain in a particular foreign country.
- It does not guarantee entry, that decision remains the right of the Immigration Officials of the country concerned.
- Immigration laws of most countries do not have a provision for appeal.
- Some countries refuse entry to visitors who do not comply with requirements regarding general appearance and clothing, or visitors who are HIV positive.
Visas for Basotho travelling to foreign countries (abroad)
We do not issue visas for overseas travel and cannot provide definitive information on visas. Embassies or consulates of the countries you plan to visit can provide up-to-date information about the visa requirements.
- Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of the Country you intend to visit, well in advance of travel.
- Be sure that you obtain all appropriate visas, including transit visas where they are required.
- Provide all required information when applying for visas.
The Lesotho government is unable to intervene in any cases in which a Mosotho has been refused visa or denied entry.
Visas for visitors to Lesotho
Visas to visit Lesotho are obtainable at Lesotho’s Diplomatic and Consular Missions. Entry into Lesotho is the responsibility of the Department of Immigration.
Authentications and Apostilles
Sometimes foreign governments need proof that Lesotho documents, or
the signatures on them are genuine before they can accept them, we
are able to certify that the signature, stamp or seal on a document is genuine
by checking it against a copy held in file of the issuing
authorities. We can therefore, facilitate an issuance of
authentication or Apostille, when we are satisfied that the
signature, stamp or seal on a document is not fraudulent.
Authentication may be obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Relations, Lesotho Embassies, High Commissions, Consulate General and Consulates. It should be noted that Honorary Consuls cannot issue authentications.